Just a few months ago, and amid the pandemic, the highly anticipated Puesto Mission Valley + Cervecería opened its doors. Located in Mission Valley, Puesto Cervecería is the third San Diego outpost of locally owned restaurant group–made up as first-generation Mexican Americans–joining locations in Seaport Village and La Jolla.
The 450-seat concept, the team’s largest and most ambitious restaurant yet, underwent an $8 million build out to create an indoor and outdoor space that spans more than 10,000 square feet.
The new locale, like the others, excels at Mexico City-style tacos, mariscos and shared plates. In addition to all of the regular deliciousness, however, this location also boasts a full brewery component, or Cervecería, focused on Mexican Lagers. The Cervecería is led by longtime San Diego brewer Doug Hasker, who saw over Gordon Biersch’s program for more than 20 years. Though only up and running a few months, they are already brewing a Puesto Mexican Lager, a Puesto Mexican Amber and a Puesto Mexican Negra Lager.
Based on first tastes, the signature Mexican Lagers are refreshing and malt forward. Hasker has some great tasting notes for those new to this type of beer that are worth a look as well:
- The Puesto Mexican Lager is a traditional, well-balanced and bright golden lager, with a crispy malt flavor from malted barley and hints of corn. The resulting beer has a medium bitterness from noble German hops with a clean finish.
- The Puesto Mexican Amber is a lager beer, paying homage to the early days of brewing in Mexico by using Vienna malts and corn for its light delicious body. Balanced with a subtle hopping of German hops for bitterness with a smooth and refreshing finish.
- The Puesto Mexican Negra Lager is a dark Mexican lager brewed using darker, roasted malts that is rich in flavor with a smooth and enjoyable finish.
In addition to the beer, Puesto has a newly revamped cocktail program, along with a Mission-only menu that features location-specific dishes, notably authentic enchiladas. Oh, the enchiladas!
Other personal favorites:
- The Potato Taquitos. I know, we had you at potatoes. But beyond even the key ingredient, this dish succeeds thanks to the guajillo chipotle corn tortilla, queso fresco, guacamole, salsa fresca and sesame black garlic chile oil.
- The Tamarindo Shrimp taco, especially thanks to the extra crispy shrimp. So good! This one has some kick thanks to the tamarindo-chile sauce but is balanced by a good portion of creamy guacamole.
- The Baja Octopus Ceviche, which has both tomatillo and habanero agua chile as well as jicama, onion, avocado and cilantro oil.
To-go dining will be available during COVID-19 lockdown. Once open for in-person dining, Puesto Cervecería is open Sunday through Thursday 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. and Friday and Saturday, 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. For more information, visit www.eatpuesto.com.